Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool(s), on the pool deck(s) and in surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere promoting member safety and engagement, youth development and healthy living in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Knows and understands all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately and appropriately, in accordance with YMCA standards, policies and procedures.
2. Knows, understands, and consistently enforces safety rules, swim testing procedures, policies and guidelines for the pool(s) and aquatics area(s).
3. Performs maintenance of the pool(s) and pool area(s) to assure high standards of safety and cleanliness; including vacuuming, cleaning pool deck, pool tiles and trash-pick-up.
4. Performs pool chemical testing and maintains accurate records, as required by YMCA standards, policies and procedures and/or the state health department code.
5. Performs daily equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available, as needed.
6. Checks for pool hazards when arriving and continues to monitor risks to prevent accidents before they occur.
7. Maintains all required certifications, in accordance with YMCA standards, policies and procedures.
8. Attends all staff meetings and trainings, as required by YMCA standards, policies and procedures and/or state health department code requirements. Minimum of four (4) hours in-service per month.
9. Maintains vigilant surveillance of the pool and notices a potential victim in 10 seconds and reaches/effectively rescues within 20 seconds.
10. Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff. Communicates rules and policies while being “firm, fair and tactful” and utilizing “Q-1-2” customer service technique.
Must have a current lifeguard certification to apply.
To enroll in one of the YMCA's upcoming lifeguard trainings and to apply, please go to https://www.ymcahouston.org/programs/lifeguard-training.
Starts at $9.00