Leia named one of America’s most beloved Rescue Dogs
CONROE, Texas -There goes a saying, “every dog has its day,” but today Leia, a two-year-old Boston terrier/pit bull mix of the Austin area, is one of 16 lucky pups in the spotlight. Petfinder Foundation today announced the winners of the MyRescue.dog fundraising campaign, a month-long effort to celebrate rescue dogs and raise funds for the shelters and rescue organizations that save them. The campaign began on National Dog Day (August 26) and ran through Sept. 26 on www.MyRescue.dog, not “dot-com,” one of several hundred new “not-com” domain name options for businesses and individuals looking for new choices in online naming.
Leia won a $5,000 donation for Reggie’s Friends of Conroe, TX., the rescue organization selected by her owner Molly Waddell. Leia was found on a doorstep, emaciated and suffering from multiple health problems, including heartworms and mange, but after several months with Reggie’s Friends, Leia was healthy and cleared for adoption.
“As soon as I saw her [picture] posted on Reggie's Friends I fell in love with her. I was so excited to find out she was given a clean bill of health in August so that I could take her home,” said Waddell. “She is one of the smartest dogs I know, and such a quick learner. She loves every person she meets and will give tons of kisses! Her favorite game is fetch and she could do it forever. She is one of the best additions to my family.”
During the promotion, dog lovers across the country submitted over 20,000 rescue dog images and voters cast over 500,000 votes for their favorite pups. Each posted picture and vote cast generated a donation to Petfinder Foundation up to the fundraising goal of $100,000. The shelter of the dog that received the most votes will receive $25,000 and the next 15 – including Reggie’s Friends – will receive $5,000 each. Aside from Leia, winning dogs and their shelters of choice include:
- · Cora Bella, Midwest Dachshund Rescue in Highland, IN – $25,000
- · Athena, Rescue from the Hart in Los Angeles, CA -- $5,000
- · Bailey, Everglades Angels Dog Rescue in Pompano Beach, FL - $5,000
- · Benjamin, Adopt A Boxer Rescue in Dickson City, PA - $5,000
- · Gremmy, National Mill Dog Rescue in Black Forest, CO - $5,000
- · JoJo, NMDOG in Rio Rancho, NM - $5,000
- · Jordan, Hope for Paws Rescue in Los Angeles, CA - $5,000
- · Karma, Legacy Boxer Rescue in Hurt, TX - $5,000
- · Meatball, City of Elderly Love in Philadelphia, PA - $5,000
- · Nugget, Arizona Pug Adoption & Rescue Network in Mesa, AZ - $5,000
- · Phil, New York Bully Crew in Long Island, NY - $5,000
- · Roosevelt, The Bickell Foundation in Chicago, IL - $5,000
- · Savannah, Imagine Pet Rescue in Savannah, GA - $5,000
- · Slater, Hope Animal Rescues in Godfrey, IL - $5,000
- · Virgil, Wire Fox Terrier Rescue Midwest in Dumont, IA - $5,000
To see all of the beloved rescue dogs, visit www.MyRescueDog.dog.
About the Petfinder Foundation...The Petfinder Foundation assists the 12,000+ animal shelters and rescue groups that post their adoptable pets on Petfinder.com. A nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, the Petfinder Foundation helps adoption organizations find homes for the pets in their care through its Sponsor A Pet, Disaster and Emergency Response, Quality of Life and other programs. Since its founding in 2003, the Petfinder Foundation has given more than $20 million in cash and product grants to shelters and rescue groups in the United States, Canada and Mexico. To learn more about the Petfinder Foundation, please visit www.petfinderfoundation.com