5th Annual Christmas on Main in Downtown Conroe
CONROE, TX --
The Downtown Merchants with the Conroe Downtown Area Association (CDAA) is preparing for the 5th Annual Christmas on Main to take place after the Annual Tree Lighting on Tuesday, Nov. 30 at 6:00pm at Heritage Park from 7:00pm until 8:30pm throughout the streets of Main, Simonton, and Metcalf. Founder’s Plaza will be the center of music by the Jazz Connection starting promptly at 7pm and will also serve as the drop off for tickets to win prizes that night.
Christmas on Main is a collaboration between the City of Conroe and the Conroe Downtown Area Association to bring a family fun event to residents to kick off the “most wonderful time of the year.” In 2017, Mayor Powell asked volunteers to create an event where families could share the excitement of Christmas right after the “official” City of Conroe tree was lighted while everyone was still in the Downtown area. Each year more activities add to the event and allow the public to visit the merchant shops.
Back again are the World-Famous Clydesdale horses, sponsored by Express Employment and new additions to the event including a 3-D Nativity Experience from Tree of Life Lutheran Church in Conroe and a Christmas Vendor Market.
“We have new merchants in the Downtown area and as the CDAA continues to grow this event we add more family fun activities,” said Rodney Pool, President of the CDAA. “New to the event in 2021 is a Christmas Vendor Market and the Nativity Experience on Main Street in front of the Courthouse. We also will have a food truck area located next to Founder’s Plaza.”
Families can get informational maps, wooden tokens, and raffle tickets at the booths located at Heritage Park entrance, the corner of Main/Simonton, North Thompson/Simonton, Thompson/Metcalf, and Main/Metcalf. The public walk the streets to vote on window displays from participating merchants by dropping a wooden coin into the decorated gift box outside their favorite window display. There are a dozen attorneys decorating their windows alongside the merchants and the window with the most tokens will win the coveted first through third place plaques.
The map will feature activities hosted by the merchants. Activities to date:
• Santa will be at Mimi’s on Main
• Pictures with the Bear-Bears Etc.
• Carolers from the Montgomery County Choral Society
• Letter writing to Santa on Simonton by Brownlee Jewelers
• Reindeer food on Main Street
• Santa’s Workshop at Brownlee Jewelers
• Clydesdale horses sponsored by Express Professional Employment in parking lot across from Founder’s Plaza
• Branding Iron Custom Goods, The Players Theatre at the Owen Theatre, Conroe Central Market, Fass Brewing, Main Street Merchants, the Conroe Art League, Sweet Texas Treasures, The Red Brick Tavern, and Main Street Merchants are all hosting Christmas surprises
• Ornament Decorating at USTMAX Center
• Cookie Decorating at The Corner Pub
• Gingerbread Houses at Vernele’s New Orleans Bakery and Café
• The Tree of Life Nativity Experience on Simonton
• Stage Right of Texas will host a photo booth at the Crighton Theatre
• The Ferm Meadery will serve hot mead for the adults and face painting for the kids
• 3 FREE balloon artists will be sharing their talents by the Courthouse on Main, Founder’s Plaza Park, and on Simonton around the festivities
• The Grinch and Cindy Lou Who will be strolling the streets
“Be sure and vote on the attorney decorated windows too! We have a dozen attorneys from the Courthouse Square decorating windows this year,” said Rodney Pool.
The streets will close on Simonton, Main, and Metcalf in Downtown, with free parking at the City of Conroe parking garages located on Thompson, Simonton and behind Founder’s Park in the jury lot.
Christmas carolers from the Montgomery County Choral Society and music performed from students with the Jazz Connection will encourage participants at Heritage Park to stroll the 2 blocks down Simonton or Metcalf towards the festivities at the Downtown shops and at Founder’s Plaza Park.
Tickets will also be available from the merchants to enter a drawing at 8:15pm for four bicycles donated by Bleyl Engineering and Councilman Todd Yancy along with other prizes including Nerf Products from Councilman Curt Maddox. All tickets for drawings must be taken to tumbler at Founder’s Plaza Park to be included in the drawing. You must be present to win.
Festivities begin at Heritage Place Park, 500 Metcalf Street, Conroe at 6:00 pm.
For additional information follow the Downtown Conroe Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/ExperienceHistoricDowntownConroe